Xtracycle's Leap kit and Cargo Bikes
Some 14 years ago, as our retail business was growing and responsibilities were accumulating, we found ourselves becoming car dependent. Standard bike racks and panniers were not offering the cargo capacity that we needed.
In order to relieve our car dependency we researched cargo bicycle options and categorized them in the following manner;
- Bike trailer: A bike trailer needs to be attached and then dismounted from the bike in order for it to fit into my bike storage area. The additional trailer tires need to be maintained and fixed when they flat out. Not the solution for everyday cycling but we eventually bought a Bike at Work trailer for extra large loads.
- Front cargo: The long john style of bike proves to be the ever-popular option in Northern European cities where cyclists commute through dense city neighborhoods on flat terrain. Soma Fabrication's Pick Up Artist is a practical take on this genre.
- Trike: slow, unstable, impractical.
- Long tail: stable, sporty, and durable. The most popular brands include; Kona's Ute, Yuba, Surly's Big Dummy, Bike Friday's Haul-a-Day, and XtraCycle.
In 2003 Xtracycle's FreeRadical stood out as our best option. A long tail cargo kit that attaches to any bicycle you might own. We both installed FreeRadicals to our 8-speed city bikes.
In the following years Ethan moved on to Surly’s Big Dummy, a complete long tail cargo bike that accepts Xtracycle accessories. I am still riding with my problem-free Free Radical.
Bene.s of the Xtracycle Long Tail
- Removable, my FreeRadical has been mounted to different bicycle frames.
- A sporty option, rides as well as the bicycle it is mounted to.
- Up to you but I need low gear options to accomplish hills.
- Fits onto any bicycle from a 20” wheel size to 29ner.
- Many accessories are available to purchase like the sidecar.
Bike Friday of Oregon entered the cargo bike field with their Haul-a Day (HAD) in 2016. This complete cargo bike is the lightest and sportiest model that we have encountered. If you need to get your day rolling this is a cargo bike that will keep you on schedule.
Bene.s of the Haul-a-Day
- a smidgen more compact so it fits on most trains and bus racks.
- chromoly frame set is amazingly light weight.
- the 20" wheel set is durable.
- accelerates quickly.
- adjusts to fit riders of all sizes from 4"6' to 6'4".
Bike Friday’s HAD is an excellent option for the household that needs a new cargo bike and does not have an extra bicycle to devote to Xtracycle’s long tail attachment.
The Leap and the Haul-a-Day come with:
- Cargo bags
- Top decks
- Baby seats can be purchased to attach to their top decks.
Since we first began our research several of the early cargo bike options are no longer available. XtraCycle, on the other hand, has kept up with consumer demands. There is not one long tail cargo bike that can compare to the versatility of Xtracycle’s Leap kit.
Cargo bicycles are a fun way to transport yourself around town, they aren't complicated. Drop us a line or stop by the shop if you have questions about cargo bike options. We've tested out a lot of different bicycles in the last 14 years and can offer you an educated recommendation for your cycling needs.